WILD IN RUSSIA

The Modern Westerners pulled into Calgary yesterday after a whirlwind trip to Russia. We’re playing Calgary Stampede Thursday night and then head to Nakusp to play a festival there on Saturday then on home for a few days before we head out again.

You might recall that we went to St. Petersburg last year in December and played a benefit and then left. This trip we played three – two in St. Petersburg and one in Moscow. – all in four days. We were limited to 30 minutes a set because of the number of acts at each show which was so weird. Go all the way to Russia for three shows and play a total of 90 minutes. That’s how long we’ll play in Calgary. Woody Allen and his New Orleans jazz group played one night and Macy Gray played the next. They were both great. Dionne Warwick was at the last show in Moscow. She was so sweet and so beautiful.

The weather was HOT in St. Petersburg and cool in Moscow. We all got to roam a bit in St. Petersburg which was wonderful because last trip was in the dead of winter and we froze our butts off whenever we got outside. Moscow was a different story – no roaming there – because we flew in late in the morning – sound checked – rested – played the show then flew out at 4AM the next day for Canada. A few of the band members got to Red Square.

They drive fast in Moscow….

We have our sights set on Europe in September – can’t wait to get back. We miss you.

See You Around…….Sometime

21 Responses to WILD IN RUSSIA

1. andi266 says:
    July 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Hi,
    I can’t wait to have you back in Europe, especially Germany.I think we all miss you.Hopefully your new CD will be out soon enough to get to know the new songs.
    See you in Offenbach

2. tessa says:
    July 12, 2011 at 11:23 pm

great report as always ,thanks John –

• SiL says:
      July 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Jepp :-))) It´s so great. Thanks John, again.

July 13, 2011 at 12:16 am

John thanks to explain your Russian experiences.
    Having great shows this summer.
    Welcome to Europe in September… See you.

Adriana from Barcelona.

4. Claudine says:
    July 13, 2011 at 12:23 am

Thanks a lot , John, for telling us your Russian experiences.
    It’s great, as always ! A blast to read you !

5. Nel says:
    July 13, 2011 at 12:23 am

The sun was shining just for you in Moscow 🙂
    (because the day before it was raining half of the day)
    comeback with big gig someday and it will shine for u again, I promise 😉

6. Vendy says:
    July 13, 2011 at 6:22 am

Thanks for sharing, John. Good luck in your next busy weeks.
    Can´t wait to have you all back here in Europe.
    See you in Munich. Vendy

7. hilde geumeth says:
    July 13, 2011 at 7:23 am

I congratulate you wholeheartedly for your world-Europe Tuor in 2011. I wish you many beautiful moments of your success.

8. Ludmilla says:
    July 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Great to hear from you again, John!

And we thought your 90 minutes concerts were short! LOL I guess we won´t ever get sated. I read once that “MW played till wee hours of the morning.” Hmm, yeah 🙂

Travel safe and have a great audience wherever you go.
    L.

9. laCanadese says:
    July 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Have fun in Calgary! See you in Niagara in Sept.

July 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Welcome back from your whorl-wind trip to Russian only to hit the ground running… Rock’em in Calgary. Received our tickets for the Falls Casino – the countdown has begun…..

• Eggi says:
      July 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for the report John. We miss you too and looking forward to September. See you in Berlin for a great concert 🙂

11. Heike says:
    July 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Thanks John for the work you do here! I so much apriciate reading your reports. Can’t wait receiving them. Lucky us that you long for coming back to Europe. See you in Dreden and Berlin in September

12. crs says:
    July 14, 2011 at 12:01 am

Welcome to Calgary!!!!!
    Hope all is going well for you so far,and am hoping the skies will continue to clear for a beautiful concert tomorrow evening!
    Truly hoping your enjoying your time here!

• Nelson says:
      July 14, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Great photos of Russia, especially the group shot. Ha-ha, Larry with your head in the shampoo bowl – would that be a rinse and a wax…. too funny! See you soon—

13. Kim says:
    July 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I am so looking forward to meeting you guys to night and seeing you in Calgary.. Hope you guys have had a great time here.. 🙂

14. Sharon Knowles says:
    July 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Saw Kevin and band last night at the Calgary Stampede!What a fantastic show with great story telling; authentic and personable, that’s Kevin. I stood back 5 rows of people, behind a girl who approached him the night before at Joey Tomatoes, who spoke with him for an hour; lucky girl! Hope to see you again next year, this time in the front row!

15. Miikka says:
    July 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Cool…nice view! You may get cool views if you come to Finland in September…it’s very beautiful fall here! Have a great great summer, Modern Westerners!

16. crs says:
    July 16, 2011 at 1:29 am

I am an “Open Ranger”, who is basking in a little afterglow of last nights Calgary Concert. Was able to share a little of that light with my summer theatre school students today,…thanks Kevin,it was a beautiful concert!

17. Scott Sharpe says:
    August 19, 2011 at 4:38 am

Kevin –
    Scott Sharpe here.. I was your personal life guard on the boat Kauainui MISTRESS – the star boat on WATERWORLD. I don’t know if you remember me but one day on the boat you took the time to ask “so who are you and what are you going to do with your life?” I told you about FREE WILLY – I was the trainer of Keiko, & that I wanted to build my own theme park OCEAN ADVENTURE.. Well my partners and I did it – after working on thE FLIPPER MOVIE, we went to Beijing and built the BEIJING NATIONAL AQUARIUM (we had the animal care & training contract.) Then we came to the Philippines and built OCEAN ADVENTURE. Anyway, were you ever able to build a theme park in SD? I read about a casino.. Thanks for taking the time to have a chat with your lifeguard on WATERWORLD. Best of luck with the band. aloha, scotty

September 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Thanks John ! You’re a very nice person !