Midwest Highways

Running a little behind with updates……..great show in Lansing Michigan at the Common Ground Music Festival – big crowd – boats on the river behind the festival grounds…party time.

We left that night and drove into one of our favorite states – Iowa – where we played at the ValAire in Des Moines and then onto Clear Lake to play one of our favorite clubs – the Surf Club.  Some people aren’t familiar with the history of the club so I’ll briefly tell you that the Surf Club is the last place Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Richie Valens played.  Their plane crashed that night in a snowstorm after the show…February 3, 1959….the guy who gave up his seat?….Waylon Jennings.  Also one of the little towns near Clear Lake is Leland.  We wrote a song about Leland and played it once again to a wonderful exhuberant audience.  Thanks to everyone who came and thanks to everyone who has kept the Surf Club alive all these years and made it into a premiere venue in the Midwest…..The Snyder family, Wayne, Jeff and many others….sorry I can’t remember everyones’ name.

We’re sitting in the bus now at the fairgrounds in Ft. Wayne Indiana having just pulled in from our show last night in St. Charles at the charming historic Arcada theater….rescued in the nick of time from the wrecking ball and well tended by Ron, Rich and Sherry (who took great care of the band and even made chocolate cupcakes for us).

We were going to play the Neon Armadillo here in Ft. Wayne but the club was too small for the demand so we’re doing a semi-outdoor concert here at the fairgrounds – kind of reminds me of my hometown fairgrounds back in Clayton New Mexico where they have the rodeos, the county fair, 4th of July, little league baseball games, and carnivals that leave in the dead of the night.

See You Around…..Sometime – The Modern Westerners

48 Responses to Midwest Highways

1. Cynthia says:
    July 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm

when are you guys to louisiana. I live in Denham Springs and would love to see you. So let me know and keep up the good work.

2. Sherri says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm

We loved having you at the Arcada. COME SEE US AGAIN!! I will make more cupcakes!!

3. Karen says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Great to see you back! The comments are great as it sounds like the tour has been. Can relate to the story about Buddy Holly..see you Tuesday in Nashville!

4. Cristina says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Wish I could be there… Indiana is my second home. Hope you enjoy there! See you around anytime… Whenever you wonna come back to Madrid!
    Cris from Spain

5. Rhonda says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm

The show at The Surf was excellent! I hope you return year after year. Iowa loves Modern West!

6. Sandy Glumb says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Welcome to Fort Wayne! And especially Northwest Allen County! We are right across the road from you and are eagerly awaiting tonight’s performance. Still trying to find tickets for tonight, if not will listen to the music out our back porch! My daughter is learning to drive, so the Fairgrounds are our practice place. My girls are excited as we just got back from vacation that included two days in Pikeville KY exploring the history of the Hatfield’s and the McCoy’s. And now you are here to sing! Thanks for making our summer special!

7. Beverly Oliver Massegee says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Can hardly wait till Durant OK. Kevin Costner and Modern West… Best band EVER!!!

July 15, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Dear Modern Westerners, It’s a pleasure to have news from you and we always learn something new, so thank you! Clearly my friend Isabel and I are addicted to your music and your live shows. We miss you !
    Have safe travel and a lot of fun !!
    See you around… sometime
    Carme

• Simone says:
      July 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

Carme, I agree with you …! I am also addicted to the music of Modern West. I have been listening to the songs most every day.
      Dear John, you are my private English teacher and thank you for the homework. How much is it??? It is just nice to hear that you are very well. Have a lot of fun tonight.
      Convey my greetings to all!
      Warm regards
      Simone

9. Carol T says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:24 pm

John –

Heard you were at the Surf and had to google your “Leland, IA” song. I cried when I listened to it as my mom owned the general store in Scarville, IA and when it closed in ’97 it was the oldest general store in the nation (made AP news). She felt like she failed. Since I have been a vendor to major retailers then and now, felt her pain, but tried to explain it wasn’t her fault. Scarville still has it’s 4th of July parade though and my dad still has his farm – where he was an “expert mechanic” on trucks, tractors, and cars his entire life (he learned from my Grandpa an Emmons, Mn mechanic). I could call from California and describe the sound my car was making and he knew over the phone what was wrong.

I am giving this song to my parents as a gift for the great “growing up” experience they gave me in Scarville, Iowa.

10. Kathy says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm

The show at Clear Lake was fantastic and can’t wait to see another one. The song “When Angels Came Down” is fantastic and can’t wait till it’s out on CD. Thank you Kevin Costner and Modern West for such a great show.

11. Ann Rosen says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

We love the music!

12. Bob says:
    July 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

John: Thanks for remembering Leland.You guys are always welcome here!! Is this Heaven? No its Leland…..Thanks for making your trip to Iowa again, oh, and thanks for throwing a pick to me…

13. Sue says:
    July 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Thanks KC&MW for coming back to rock the Surf! It was so awesome to see Lily . . .what a VOICE she has! Thanks, John, for the pick at the end of the show and MANY thanks to Kevin for coming out to greet fans at the bus afterwards . . .Iowa loves you guys . . .don’t wait 3 years to come back! ♥

14. Nicole Ohlson says:
    July 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I was at the show in St. Charles and was even blessed to meet Kevin (who loved my purple shirt)! It was a great show and Lilly was wonderful as well! We all hope you come back!!!!!

15. Anne-Marie Holloway says:
    July 15, 2012 at 8:17 pm

hello,when will you be in Lexington,KY??

July 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Thanks for the updates… always nice to catch up on how everything is going. Have a great show tonight. Hopefully the temps will cool down a bit before you hit the stage.

17. Lisa Stoner says:
    July 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I am bummed I did not know you were going to be in Lansing Michigan. You should come to Grand Haven Coast Guard City USA for the Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival which this year is July 27 to August 5. We have entertainment from Saturday to Saturday and events honoring the men & women of the United States Coast Guard. I would like to see if we could afford your band.

18. Suzie says:
    July 15, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Thanks for 2 great shows in Des Moines and Clear Lake! My friends and I went to both shows and you guys are phenomenal. Come back to Iowa again sometime soon!

19. Kelly says:
    July 15, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Loved the show in Lansing MI, hope you come back this way again!

20. donna reese mcculloch says:
    July 16, 2012 at 12:13 am

Thank you John. Would like to meet you all in person one day…. Please keep sharing with us as it is most interesting for those who cant be there …:)

21. Lori says:
    July 16, 2012 at 12:31 am

Thanks for a great show and a fun night! Thanks for taking the time for autographs and photos, everyone! Kevin, thanks for honoring Jamie Skalberg during the show, I drove to Clear Lake from Shenandoah, IA on Friday morning and drove past the flag-lined highway leading to the cemetary where he would be laid to rest on Saturday. Thank you for reminding us that he is one of many who have given the ultimate sacrifice for his country, for each of us.

22. Jayne says:
    July 16, 2012 at 1:27 am

Thanks for a great time at Arcada in St. Charles. You gave the audience what we wanted and you played loud.
    The talk, as people were leaving, is that Kevin Costner is good at singing as he is at acting. One could see he was full of pride when his daughter Lily was singing. Thanks again KCMW.

23. Sandy Carter says:
    July 16, 2012 at 3:09 am

Can’t wait till Thursday! See you then!

24. Gail Trippi says:
    July 16, 2012 at 3:25 am

Kevin, I will never forget seeing you in St.Charles last nite, When I heard you were coming to town I jumped right on getting myself a ticket! Yes me alone.. Front row, it was the best ever! You are a remarkable person! I will cherish the picture that we took together and I hope you enjoy Chicago and I did you! Great music my friend.. Safe travels See you again in Chicago! Lady in Black…xoxoxoxo

25. cheri crowley says:
    July 16, 2012 at 3:59 am

Thank you so much for an amazing show in fort wayne. And ……. Thank you for being part of a dream come true! …….. cheri

26. Marissa says:
    July 16, 2012 at 4:51 am

Just saw you guys in ft. Wayne, it was an awesome show. So glad I got to meet Jason,Lily, Blair, and Larry . Thank you for an amazing night full of lasting memories!

27. Ersilia says:
    July 16, 2012 at 5:05 am

Thanks Mr Coinman for your story about the Surf Club I heard about Buddy Holly & I know his music, I like reading about the Midwest, especially, becouse everything sounds like a kind of American dream for me!You and the rest of the band may you all have a delightful journey and many joyful musical stops!

28. donna reese mcculloch says:
    July 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

Looks like I will miss you again tonight. So close yet so far away…:(
    Kevin and John and MW, could you please plan another tour nxt season with a gig here at the “GOO”/ Grand ole Opry, and also Charleston. I would love to see you again at these places… Or come to Carolina?? Hope you hv fun tonight… wish I was there…

• Nancy says:
      July 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for the memorable evening Kevin Costner and Modern West.We purchased “From Where I Stand”. Your lyrics are amazing. I can tell that your heart is in your music. You sound so much better on the CD.Thank you Kevin for all your great movies and now entertaining us through your music. Hopefully more movies.You are truly amazing. Loved the duet with Lily. We are so happy that we got to see you in person. And you are still so handsome!

29. Christy says:
    July 17, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Just had to say a big thank you to Modern West and Kevin Costner! My sister has struggled with Macular Degeneration for two years. She lost most of her vision and went through 2 years of injections in her eyes and surgeries. I’d come in from work to find her always watching Kevin Costner movies; The Postman, Tin Cup, For Love of the Game. Everything he’s ever made. I asked her if she could really see them and she said, “I’ve loved Kevin forever. I can see his movies in my heart.” She also would listen to Modern West CDs when she went to bed at night. When I heard you guys were playing in Fort Wayne Indiana I was so excited! I had $56 left in my checking account and was able to by 2 tickets for exactly $50. My son took her so he could take care of her and get her through the crowds. They drove for an hour and a half but got there early and the promotor was so kind and got her in the front row. She stood up the entire show leaning against my son and sang every word along to each song. Then Kevin pointed right at her, smiled, blew her a kiss and said “Thank you.” She hasn’t stopped smiling since and my son was blown away by both the talent of the band and Kevin’s kindness and cordiality. Some men play heroes in movies but Kevin really is one. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving my sister back her smile.

• Nelson says:
      July 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

You are a great sister! What a sweet story… thanks for posting.

• Daralyn Loveless says:
        July 18, 2012 at 5:34 am

So sweet!!! This is awesome!!!

• Simone says:
        July 18, 2012 at 9:24 am

I know this eye disease, there are very moving words …!

• Carme says:
      July 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I agree with Nelson and Simone: nice story ! Thank you for sharing with us !

• BMLT says:
      July 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Christy , your story brought tears to my eyes….Kevin is really that special, (had the pleasure of meeting him so up-close that we actually had some conversation :), but what you did for your sister!! PRICELESS!!!!

• Christy says:
        July 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind words. My sister is my true hero and a brave and amazing person. I am just so thankful I could help her to come face to face with her hero. Kevin and The Modern West will always hold a special place in my family’s heart.

30. ilmi castro says:
    July 18, 2012 at 12:35 am

Hola John!
    Love your stories but also your fan comments.All are very sweet and moving.
    My birthday was July 13,and all I was thinking was I want to see KCMW show.
    Well someday,that’s my wish.
    Say hello to Kevin,and please come to beautiful Puerto Rico!
    Love ,
    Ilmi A.

31. Daralyn Loveless says:
    July 18, 2012 at 5:32 am

Hi John!
    I would love to see you and the band when you come to Oklahoma this week!! I will never forget getting to hang out with you, Kevin and the band back in 2009 when I came with James Coverdale to the Wormy Dog. It was an unbelievable evening and concert!!! Let me know if you have time to catch up again!
    Love,
    Daralyn

32. Nyoka Huddlestone says:
    July 19, 2012 at 1:41 am

It was a dream come true to stand stage side and see the band perform and see Kevin. I had a DVD of The Postman, sad that Kevin didnt sign anything for me, but Happy that Lilly did. It was crazy to be in that heat waiting from 2:30 until the show started about 8:40 but so so worth it. I wonder how one gets access to a meet and greet? If standing in 100 degree heat for 6 hours doesnt do it,, what does? Thanks for a wonderful concert. it was miserable hot for you I am sure, but so many fans were thrilled. I met great fans and we all shared video and picts. I will try again if you are ever back in the MidWest. love to you all!

33. Nyoka Huddlestone says:
    July 19, 2012 at 1:46 am

I was speaking of the Fort Wayne Indiana show. Thanks for coming here in spite of the drought and extreem heat. Blessings on you all as you travel on. Hope Nashville was a great show. Lilly, you are a sweet girl and really loved chatting with you. You should have a great career ahead of you. hugs yall!

34. Gloria Bledsoe says:
    July 19, 2012 at 4:19 am

I can’t believe I missed the opportunity to see Kevin Costner and Modern West in Mississippi tonight. I am from there and now live in Missouri. I tried to get tickets, but they were sold out. Seeing and/or meeting Kevin Costner has been on my bucket list for years. Love erything he does !! I live near Kansas City now. Will you be around here anytime soon? I will keep my fingers crossed 🙂

35. Fran says:
    July 19, 2012 at 4:35 am

I love hearing all the good comments and seeing the pictures ya’ll post. Sounds like alot of fun . . Please come to Cornelius, North Carolina – would love to see ya’ll in person

36. ilmi castro says:
    July 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I just saw the EMMYS nominations today!!! Wonderful! Congratulations Kevin!!!!

37. Margaret “Mags” Pfenninger says:
    July 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Congrats Kevin on your Emmy nomination!! I watched the mini series, it is outstanding! It was great seeing you and Modern West perform in Charleston, SC and Nashville, Tn this past April. Nashville was my 5th time enjoying your music live. I also bought your new cd “Famous for Killing Each Other”. You and the guys are very talented musicians and I have the time of my life when I see you play live!!! Take care, luv ya Mags

July 20, 2012 at 11:13 am

Bravo – congratulations to the entire cast for your huge success at the Emmy nominations! I just got done listening to your performance at Grand Old Opry – well done! Time to log off…. huge t’storm rolling in. Enjoy the last leg of your summer tour.

39. Lori says:
    July 24, 2012 at 3:09 am

Thanks to Kevin and all the members of Modern West for another great show at The Surf. Even better than 2009. It was a real treat to see and hear Lily – what an amazing voice. Thanks especially to Kevin for being so gracious to sign autographs after the show. It was a real treat for us. We hope to see you at The Surf again soon. Please don’t wait three years this time!

40. Carol says:
    August 16, 2012 at 4:39 pm

It was an awesome concert at the Surf in Clear Lake. Thank you to Mr. Costner for entering from the back and walking through the audience on the way up to the stage. He didn’t have to do that and it was a special moment when he walked by. I’ve always been a fan and loved his movies. Now I’m a fan of Modern West. Thanks for a great summer memory!